- Culture is second nature to us
- This place could be right out of a painting. Main colour: lush green. Come and visit us in lovely natural surroundings, where culture is in bloom: Our Youth Hostel, located near the city at a site surrounded by flowing water, is part of Meppen's "Koppelschleuse" international cultural network. As a place of intercultural exchange, we offer guests a diverse programme. Our repertoire includes the arts and theatre, archaeology and history. Upon request, we can organise workshops for you, as well as excursions, conferences and seminars. We cultivate the art of relaxation and enjoyment just as lovingly. Here you will find peace, somewhere to stretch your legs and let your mind unwind. Experience nature. Discover art. Take the time to meet your friends in the shade of an old tree. And flourish.
- Our top tips for your short break
- Discover the Emsland and sharpen your eye and sense of aesthetics and history:
- Be blown away by the technical sophistication of the Koppelschleuse, the double locks constructed in 1828, and the neoclassical building of the Royal Hanoverian Hydraulic Engineering Inspectorate.
- Admire the historic town hall, Meppen's famous landmark. Its lower floor was constructed in 1408 using huge boulders.
- Get a feel for the Neolithic period as you discover the stone burial site in Apeldorn.
- Learn all about archaeology in the Emsland - with exciting finds, models, representations and reconstructions at the exhibition centre near the Koppelschleuse.
- Visit Bokeloh's church, one of the oldest in the Emsland, in a lovely setting on a hill on the banks of the Hase.
- Make the most of being so close to the Netherlands; go back centuries as you visit the impressive Fort Bourtange in the wonderful Westerwolde region.
- Artful accommodation
- Our modern Hostel, a certified Cultural|Youth Hostel, is a true work of art for those seeking culture and joie de vivre: The Koppelschleuse site houses Meppen School of Art, the exhibition centre for Emsland aracheology and the Youth Hostel. The designs for our Hostel and the park grounds were created by Franz Erhard Walther, a renowned professor at Hamburg's University of Fine Arts. Neoclassical and contemporary architecture are in perfect harmony with each other. Why not try something new in this inspiring environment - and let your creativity run wild!
- Where the Ems and Hase rivers meet
- The rivers Ems and Hase and the alley-lined city wall dominate the old fortified town of Meppen. All around: Lush meadows. Wide fields. Silent woodland. Canals and rivers meander through endless moors and heathland. Starting here you can go on extensive walking, cycling and boat tours. Travel to the star-shaped forts of Bourtange and Clemenswerth - on both sides of the German-Dutch border. Or let your mind unwind as you row across the Ems and the Hase. Enjoy the peace, the rush of the water and the magnificent colours!
- Activity programmes at Meppen Youth Hostel
- We offer a wide range of activity programmes - for families, school classes, children and youths, groups and those travelling alone. Alternatively, use our modular programmes and create your very own itinerary for your stay. You can look forward to an action-packed trip!