Furth im Wald - the city at the heart of Europe.
Furth im Wald is a city that gives a high priority to tradition. But Furth im Wald is also a synomym for building bridges - bridges to the neighbours, bridgest into the new millennium. Every year in August, the city square turns into a huge open air arena. The people of Furth invite visitors to follow them into the middle ages, join them in the eternal battle of good against evil, the fight with the fire-spitting dragon. The "Drachenstich" festival and its 500-year tradition are icons of Furth im Wald. The Drachenstich festival is more than just a tradition: it is a symbol of the people's identification with their city.
Leisure activities at the Youth Hostel
- Beach volleyball and football field with goals, 2 basketball baskets, barbecue area
- Table tennis (indoors and outdoors)
- Spacious grounds for outdoor games
- Sledging is possible on the grounds in winter - provided there is enough snow Sledges can be rented at the Youth Hostel.
- Climbing wall indoors.
- New: "Move & Fun" - range of different educational offers on the Hostel premises.
Leisure activities in the area
- City rally (available at the Youth Hostel)
- Plus: dragon museum on Schlossplatz square. You can also climb the city tower.
- Visit the dragon in his new lair!
- Dragon store (souvenir shop with dragon and Dragonstich souvenirs, weaponry with weapons, arms, shields etc.)
- Flederwisch museum - makes the history of industrialisation come alive Phone +49 9973 1229
- Further Felsengänge, subterranean labyrinth of corridors
- Further Glockenspiel (chimes) on Schlossplatz square, every day at 11.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m.
- Drachensee lake (since 2009)
- Bathing fun with a 45-metre slide at the open-air swimming pool, only 100 metres away from the Youth Hostel
- Wild gardens and underwater observatory, only a few minutes walk away from the Hostel. Information leaflet available upon request.
- Normally, special opening hours can be arranged for groups upon request. Information on all the offers in Furth is available from the tourist information centre, Schlossplatz 1, 93437 Furth im Wald, Phone +49 9973 50980, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Youth Hostel offers a wide range of free leaflets with information on all kinds of activities for your stay.
- Waldbühne open-air theatre for children and adults, every year between mid June and mid August in Furth.
- Drachenstich: the world-famous spectacle, two weeks in August
- Historic tour of the city - with beheaded horse!
- Horse-drawn carriage tours.
Outings and excursions
- Game reserve and forest museum in the Further Ausflugs- und Erholungspark recreational area at Steinbruchsee/Sengenbühl. Groups should reseve by telephone under +49 9973 609.
- You can catch a horse-drawn carriage back from the forest museum. For information, please call +49 9973 800 -70 or -723.
- Half-day walk to Dieberg, a pre-arranged rally is available from the Youth Hostel free of charge
- Train or bus to LBV bird protection centre and adventure tour in Arnschwang
- High ropes courses in Lam or Waldmünchen
- Hoher Bogen sports and leisure centre
- Bayerwald animal park in Lohberg
- Tour of Bayerwald, visit to the glass factory and summer toboggan run
- Silver mine in Bodenmais,
- Excursions to Czech Republic
- New! Unique in Bavaria: "Waldgipfelweg" - treetop walkway - and nature trail in Sankt Englmar, and then to the longest summer toboggan run in the Bavarian Forest!
- "Haus zur Wildnis" in the Bavarian Forest national park
- Donkey safari
- Birds of prey sanctuary in Grafenwiesen with birds-of-prey show.