Ottobeuren - where Günztal valley opens up like a clam...
You travel through the gentle slopes of the foothill plateau, with its large fields, lush meadows and pastures and densely forested areas on your way to Ottobeuren, clearly marked by the two spires that can be seen from afar. Then the western Günz valley opens up, revealing a view to Ottobeuren, nestled between the baroque basilica and Benedictine abbey at an altitude of 660 m. Under the powerful influence of the glacier, this landscape was created millions of years ago. Over many centuries, even surfaces were turned into arable land while the forests were preserved on the slopes and increasingly cultivated. Ottobeuren was founded where the valley offered the largest surface for a population to spread.
Leisure activities at the Youth Hostel
- 2 ping-pong tables (outdoors)
- Large playing green for playing football or volleyball
- Barbecue hut with bonfire site
- Video and DVD room, Play Station 3, table tennis, billiard
Leisure activities in the area
- Hikes to the "geological organs", to the Kneipp memorial, to Stephansried, the Lower Allgäu viewpoint mountain or the Allgäu observatory.
- Visit to Ottobeuren basilica
- Museum of village schools in Erkheim
- Farm museum at Illerbeuren
- Allgäu Skyline Park in Bad Wörishofen
- LEGOLAND Günzburg
Outings and excursions
- Nautila swimming pool
- Affenberg (monkey mountain) in Salem
- Island of Mainau and Lake Constance
- Neuschwanstein, King Ludwig's grand palace
- Outings to Munich (100 km), Lake Constance (75 km), Oberstdorf (80 km), Augsburg, Zoo (70 km), Ulm, Cathedral (75 km).