Freizeit-Tipps rund um die Jugendherberge Osnabrück
Schnuppern Sie zunächst europäische Geschichte auf einer Erkundungsreise durch die nahegelegene historische Altstadt, wo 1648 der Westfälische Frieden besiegelt wurde. In direkter Nachbarschaft zur Jugendherberge erwarten Sie dann der Osnabrücker Zoo, das Naturkundemuseum und das Planetarium. Und im grünen Bereich ist hier sowieso alles: Direkt am Naturpark Nördlicher Teutoburger Wald gelegen, ist die Jugendherberge Osnabrück der perfekte Ausgangspunkt für Freizeit-Tipps jeglicher Art: Entdecker, Sportler und Wanderer kommen voll auf ihre Kosten. Kletterwald, Freibäder, Schlösser und Burgen warten auf Ihren Besuch!
In Osnabrück there's so much to discover!
Everywhere you turn you will find evidence of this city's eventful past. Feel it close up in the late Gothic town hall - where the Peace of Westphalia was sealed in 1648, finally ending the Thirty Years' War. Afterwards, go for a stroll through the historic old town with its medieval fortifications, half-timbered houses and many other attractions, such as the Ledenhof - a key bourgeois construction dating back to the 14th century.
A truly unique atmosphere awaits on a city tour with the night watchman: Discover the Osnabrück of old - by candlelight! Highlights include the imposing Roman cathedral of St. Peter and the "Bucksturm", a watchtower built in the 13th century that served as a torture chamber back in the days when witches were hunted.
To top off the night watchman tour, climb the Marienkirche ("St. Mary's Church") and marvel at the wonderful panoramic view across Osnabrück at night.
The Felix Nussbaum Haus is doubly impressive - it is arguably the most spectacular of Osnabrück's many museums. Designed by top American architect Daniel Liebeskind, the building is home to the world's largest collection of pictures by the Jewish painter Felix Nussbaum. Directly connected to this sensational construction is the Museum of Cultural History: Come here and immerse yourself in the city's eventful past, and don't miss the fabulous collections of artworks by Albrecht Dürer and painters from the Netherlands.
Leisure activities in the vicinity of Osnabrück Youth Hostel
A fantastic setting: Teutoburg Forest and the Wiehen Hills are right on our doorstep. The Northern Teutoburg Forest Park covers some 122,000 hectares, making it one of Germany's biggest nature parks. Conquer this natural paradise on foot or by bike! "Varusschlacht Kalkriese" and Piesberg Landscape Park - there are more than enough exciting destinations.
Attractions in the area surrounding Osnabrück, the City of Peace
- For explorers and those with itchy feet, there are plenty of worthwhile destinations:
- Learn about world history
- Town Hall of the Peace of Westphalia
- St. Peter's Cathedral with diocesan museum and cathedral treasury
- Market place with magnificent Osnabrück townhouses and the Gothic St-Marien-Kirche (St. Mary's Church) (with a Passion series by Albrecht Dürer)
- Atmospheric old town with arts and crafts as well as lovely pubs
- The baroque castle is home to the university
- Visit the "Bocksturm" to learn about people's approach to law in the Middle Ages - and see torture instruments!
- The Ledenhof, the city's most significant bourgeois construction
- The Felix Nussbaum Haus, paying tribute to the artist murdered in Auschwitz
- Museum of Cultural History, with sections on the city's history, living in Osnabrück and an archaeology section
- The Kunsthalle Dominikanerkirche ("Art Hall/Dominican Church") from 1300 presents contemporary art
- The Erich Maria Remarque-Peace Center Osnabrück offers insights into the life of this anti-war author ("All quiet on the Western Front")
- Interesting tour of industrial history: Industrial Museum in Osnabrück
- "Varussschlacht Kalkriese" Roman museum
- Get to grips with nature
- Botanical Garden: 8.6 hectares of lovely greenery
- Osnabrück Zoo: Visit the "Lion King" and 1800 other animals from five different continents (new from April '09: Subterranean Zoo!)
- "Museum am Schölerberg"/Environmental education centre and the planetarium
- UNESCO TERRA.vita Geopark
- "Museum am Schölerberg"
- Arboretum in Piesberg
- The DBU (German Environmental Foundation), with changing exhibitions (currently until March 2013)
- So many sports!
- Nettebad: Fun pool with spectacular slides, open-air pool in summer - indoor pool in winter, allocation of training times to sports groups
- Schinkelbad: Saltwater pool with retractable roof (completely refurbished and 100% family-friendly)
- Moskaubad: Open-air pool in the heart of Osnabrück
- Go it alone on a long tour: Cycling trails in the Osnabrück Land
- Thrills on wheels: Rollerblading tours in Osnabrück and the surrounding region
- Stand on your own two feet: On around 100 signposted walking trails across the Osnabrück Land
- Climbing forest in the Nettetal
- Kids, you're going to love this!
- Recreational parks in the Osnabrück Land, for example
- "Hoppla" play arena: Indoor fun centre in Osnabrück
- "Zappelphilipp" in Georgsmarienhütte: An indoor fun centre and leisure paradise
- Crazy golf in the Nettetal
- Nearby in the Osnabrück Land
- Museum of Clothmaking in Bramsche: Get wrapped up in history
- Lots of palaces, castles and mansions all around Osnabrück, for example Schloss Ippenburg in Bad Essen
- For those who love to burn rubber: Car Museum in Melle
- Summer toboggan run in Ibbenbüren: A 3000-metre wild chase through fairytale lands, mysterious caves and dream castles
- Dörenthe cliffs in Ibbenbüren
- Dinosaur tracks in Bad Essen Barkhausen