Games&fun around the youth hostel Mönchengladbach-Hardter Wald.
Leisure activities in the Mönchengladbach Hardter-Wald Youth Hostel - the hostel's idyllic location in the recreation area of Hardter Wald (forest) opens up a wide range of recreational opportunities. Young guests in particular will enjoy the low-traffic environment of the hostel with its large outdoor area. There's plenty of space here to play and run, explore and discover things.
As part of its profile as an "Environmental Hostel", the youth hostel offers various programme components relating to the forest, animal and plant life as well as nutrition.
Leisure facilities in the youth hostel
- Large outdoor area for playing, running around, building dens etc.
- Barbecue site with camp fire site
- Volleyball & badminton court
- Basketball court
- Giant chess
- Boulder wall
- Goal wall
- Table tennis
- Football area (100 meters from the hostel)
- Public playground (400 m from the hostel)
- TV with DVD
- Badge-making machine
Excursions in the surrounding area
Discover the Schwalm-Nette Nature Park - the location of the hostel is ideal for hiking and cycling. Only a few kilometres away in Mönchengladbach and the surrounding area, there are swimming pools, zoos and parks and museums offering an eclectic mix of fun, nature and entertainment. Thanks to its central location, Düsseldorf and the Netherlands are within easy reach. Go on a day trip to the Hariksee recreation area or
gain a fascinating insight into the history of mankind in the hunting and natural history museum in Brüggen. The team at the hostel would be happy you help you find a suitable destination and to plan your trip!
- Vitusbad (http://www.nvv-ag.de see BATHS), Tel: 02161 -698 0487. Right at Mönchengladbach station, take the 013 and 023 line (price level A), information about discounted rates available at the youth hostel.
- Schlossbad Niederrhein (baths) (http://www.nvv-ag.de see BÄDER), Tel: 02166 - 59757th Wickrath, bus route 026 (price level A). Learn more about discounted prices at the youth hostel.
- Freibad Niederkrüchten (open-air pool) information on request
- Städtisches Museum Schloss Rheydt (http://www.museum-schloss-rheydt.de), tours of the Renaissance castle by appointment: Tel 02166-928 9015; buses 013, 006 or 016 (price level A)
- Städtisches Museum Abteiberg (http://www.museumabteiberg.de) (art museum) information on request
- Tiergarten Mönchengladbach-Odenkirchen (small zoo) (http://www.tiergarten-moenchengladbach.de), free admission for schools and kindergartens, Mon-Fri; 026 bus (price level A), Tel: 02166-601 474
- Wasserturm Mönchengladbach (water tower) (http://www.nvv-ag.de)
- Botanical Gardens Mönchengladbach
- Ice cream parlour in Hardt (1500 m walk)
- Visit to a training session of Borussia Mönchengladbach (http://www.borussia.de)
- Hunting and Natural History Museum in Brüggen Castle (http://www.brueggen.de), buses 013 or 074 (price level B)
- Natur- und Tierpark Park Brüggen (http://www.natur-und-tierpark-brueggen.de) besides animal pens, this small nature and animal park also has a summer toboggan run and large playground; bus routes 013 or 074 (price level B)
- Hariksee lake: walking and cycling paths 14 km; nice route through many forests and along the Schwalm, bus 013 (price level B)
- Flax Museum in Wegberg-Beek (http://www.flachsmuseum.de)
- The Netherlands (25 km)
The forest of Hardter Wald and the Schwalm-Nette Nature Park have numerous trails that can be combined to make long and short walks. One of the most popular trails runs from the hostel to Lüttelforster Mill. After a 6.5 to 7.0 km-long walk, you can recharge your batteries in the restaurant of the mill before returning on foot or by bus. Walking maps are available at the hostel. We' be happy to help you plan a suitable route.