Sports, games&fun at the youth hostel Kevelaer.
Anyone looking for a varied mix of sport and culture is in the right place in Kevelaer. From here you can go on canoe tours and bike trips to the entire Lower Rhine region. "Culture vultures" are sure the be attracted by the famous churches and the Niederrheinisches Museum für Volkskunde und Kulturgeschichte ("Lower Rhine Museum of Folklore and Cultural History") with a large collection of toys or a visit to the Roman city of Xanten.
Leisure facilities in the youth hostel
- Volleyball court
- Campfire site
- Small playing field with artificial turf (20 m x 40 m)
- Table tennis (indoors and outdoors)
- Barbecue site (covered)
Things to do in and around Kevelaer
A visit to Kevelaer is just the thing if you're looking for a mix of sport and culture. If you've burnt off enough energy playing volleyball or basketball at the hostel, then you can explore the area by bicycle or canoe: the peaceul Niers river is also suitable for beginners and 2000 km of cycling routes pass through the Lower Rhine landscape. We recommend that culture lovers visit the famous churches in Kevelaer - after all, the town with nearly 30,000 inhabitants is one of the major pilgrimage sites in Germany. In the Candle Chapel, the oldest place of pilgrimage in Kevelaer, there is an abundance of coats of arms to discover. Directly adjacent to that is the Chapel of Grace, which houses the "miraculous image". History buffs should not miss a visit to the Roman town of Xanten - because here is where you will find Germany's biggest open-air archaeological museum. The LVR-Römer Museum on the site of the Archaeological Park is an architectural highlight: elements of an archaeological protective construction merge with a modern museum building. Had enough culture? Then treat yourself to some fun in the water, wellness and wild slides in the "GochNess" water park.
- Canoe fun: canoeing on the Niers (mid-April to the end of October)
- Niederrhein by bike: cycling tours
- Roman relics: Archaeological Park Xanten (bus, 12 km)
- Water lovers beware! GochNess (water park, coach, 20 km)
- "Irrland" labyrinth (7 km)
- Land sheep, pygmy goats & more: Weeze Zoo (8 km)
- Folklore & cultural history: Lower Rhine Museum Kevelaer
Leisure facilities in the region
Kevelaer is right on the border with the Netherlands. In about an hour's journey by coach, you can reach many famous Dutch attractions. Arnhem, just 50 km away, houses the famous Burgers Zoo and the Open Air Museum: the choice is yours! Go on an adventurous journey through different habitats or on a journey through the last 200 years. Either way, both young and old alike will love it!
- Nature in action: National Park "de Hooge Veluve" in Arnhem (coach, 50 km)
- History with fresh air: Open Air Museum Arnhem (coach, 50 km)
- Beastly good: Burgers Zoo in Arnhem (coach, 50 km)
- Across the borders: a trip to the Netherlands