Discover the arts- and culture scene of the city of Essen.
Located in a wooded area above Lake Baldeney is the hostel of choice for sports enthusiasts and nature lovers. Cyclists will also enjoy the nearby Ruhr Valley Cycle Route.
Essen invites visitors to stroll through a vibrant arts and culture scene. Aalto Opera, Grillo Theatre, Folkwang Museum and Philharmonic enjoy an excellent reputation. And Essen-Katerberg is proud of its UNESCO World Heritage site: the Zeche Zollverein (Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex). The KulturLinie 107 tram line - with 60 sites along its route - will get you there!
Leisure facilities in the youth hostel
- Sports equipment
- Barbecue site
- Football field
- Pinball machine
- Table football
- Table tennis
- Bistro area
- Internet terminal
- Sun terrace
Leisure facilities in the area
Unique experiences await you right outside the hostel: Lake Baldeney alone offers a variety of recreational opportunities for families, school groups and conference delegates. Hire a pedal boat or canoe and explore the region with its old factories and no longer smoking chimneys. A pedal boat rental is only 10 minutes away from the hostel. Looking for a short break? In Seaside Beach, you can let your mind wander: on lounge beds, sipping delicious cocktails, playing beach volleyball - the stress of everyday life will just melt away. Art-lovers can reach Villa Hügel, the former home of the Krupp industrial family, and changing exhibitions in just under an hour.
- Enjoy music and dance: Folkwang School (5 minutes on foot)
- Pedalling along: pedal boat rentals (10 minutes on foot)
- Become clerical: St Ludgerus (10 minutes on foot)
- Set sail: Lake Baldeney (20 minutes on foot)
- Feed deer: deer park (40 minutes on foot)
- Beach atmosphere in the Ruhr: Seaside Beach Baldeney (50 minutes on foot)
- Mini golf at Lake Baldeney (50 minutes on foot)
- Walk in the footsteps of the Krupp family: Villa Hügel (60 minutes on foot)
- Experiences for the senses
- Ostrich farm
- Swin-golf course
Leisure facilities in Essen and the region
In the heart of the Ruhr area lies the city of Essen with its landmark: the Zollverein, the most famous industrial monument on the European Route of Industrial Heritage. The European Capital of Culture 2010 still has a lot more to offer: classical music in the Alto Music Theatre and the Philharmonic, art at the Folkwang-Museum or the Zeche Carl, the centre of the alternative art scene. In the Unperfekthaus, an artists' village with great restaurants, you can look over the shoulder of the creative people there. Those looking for a superlative shopping experience will find what they're looking for in Limbecker Platz, Germany's largest urban shopping centre.
- Enjoy culture: Aalto Music Theatre, Philharmonic Hall (30 minutes by public transport)
- Shows and shopping: Limbecker Platz shopping centre (30 minutes by public transport)
- Look at art: Museum Folkwang (30 minutes by public transport)
- Essen on wheels: skater/BMX hall (30 minutes by public transport)
- Experience history: Ruhr Museum (45 minutes by public transport)
- Breathe coal dust: Zeche Zollverein (45 minutes by public transport)
- Bottrop: ski hall, Movie Park Germany
- Bochum: Mining and Railway Museum
- Duisburg: Legoland Discovery Centre
- Gelsenkirchen: Zoom Adventure World (zoo)
- Mülheim: Aquarius Water Museum
- Oberhausen: Sealife, Gasometer, CentrO
- Helene mine: large indoor climbing hall