Tips for your stay
Sports, games, excitement and relaxation - Dresden has it all: Just like any decent menu, we offer activity programmes suitable for every age group, which you can vary according to your tastes.
Leisure activities in/at the Youth Hostel
- Whether you're seeking a vibrant city packed with cultural highlights, sports facilities, artistic journeys of discovery, major events, or simply want to stroll through the "Florence on the Elbe" - it's all possible in and around this Youth Hostel.
- Table tennis
- "Taifun" game
- Table football
Leisure activities in the vicinity
- Programme modules covering the history of art and technology as well as architecture
- Guided tours of the historic old city including Zwinger, Dresden Castle, Semper Opera House, Frauenkirche ("Church of Our Lady"), Gemäldegalerie (Old Masters Gallery),
- VW Transparent Factory
- Travel along the Elbe with the "Sächsiche Dampschiffahrt" paddle steamer fleet up to Pillnitz or to "Saxon Switzerland" National Park
Sightseeing and excursions
- Thanks to the Youth Hostel's fabulous location near Dresden's historic city centre, first and foremost guests should explore Saxony's state capital. But where to begin? There's the Zwinger, Semper Opera House, Dresden Castle, Frauenkirche, the Old Market, Theatre and Gemäldegalerie. The Youth Hostel team would be happy to organise guided tours of the city or particular areas as well as tours of the Semper Opera House, all-day itineraries for Dresden, excursions to Pillnitz Castle & Park, company visits and lectures. At your own pace you can visit museums, monuments, parks and historic transportation systems (e.g. cable railways). Steamboat rides (April until October) on the Elbe as well as excursions to "Saxon Switzerland" (Elbe Sandstone Mountains) and the Ore Mountains are also highly recommended. One day trip, for instance, will take you along Saxony's Wine Route to Radebeul, including the Karl May Museum and narrow-gauge railway, and then onwards to the porcelain capital of Meißen with its Cathedral, Albrechtsburg Castle and Porcelain Manufactory. The Jugendgästehaus team is on hand to provide expert advice when you plan your journey and itinerary. For example, we can provide licensed tour and museum guides. The Tourist Point, which has a ticket and events service, is the ideal place for you to get the information you need about what's going on in the city and how to book.